Welcome to GMM Exim
WHAT IS SOAPSTONE
Soapstone (also known as steatite, or soaprock) is a talc-schist, which is a type of metamorphic rock. It is largely composed of the mineral talc and is thus rich in magnesium. It is produced by dynamo thermal metamorphism and metasomatism, which occurs in the areas where tectonic plates are sub ducted, changing rocks by heat and pressure, with influx of fluids, but without melting. It has been a medium for carving for thousands of years.
- soft and very easy to carve
- low electrical conductivity
- heat resistant
- high specific heat capacity
- resistant to acids and alkalis
- CHIMICAL FROMULA : 3mgo SiO2 H2O
- COLOR : white
- MOHS HARDNESS : 1
- LOSS OF IGNITION(LOI) : 5.36
- SILICA AS SIO2 : 58.62
- IRON AS FE2O3 : 1.79
- ALIUMINA AS AL2O3 : 1.46
- CALCIN AS CAO : 2.26
- MAGNESIUM AS MGO : 29.5
- The natural qualities of talc gives cosmetics stability, texture, skin adhesion, slip and water resistance. Talc is pure, odorless and free from impurities. Talc is not only used in Body Talc (Talcum Powder) and Toilet Soaps, but also in Detergents and Washing Powder.
- In body talc, it acts as a perfume carrier due to its chemical inertness and lamellar structure (a fine, alternating layers of different materials). At Green Tree, supplies to body talc manufacturers are also sterilized to remove any microbiological contamination.
- In soaps, talc is mainly used as a filler. The consumption of talc in Soap, varies between 5 to 40% depending on the quality and type of soap. It also acts as a binding agent and gives hardness to the cake.
- Animal Feed
- Being hydrophobic in nature, talc prevents loss and absorption of water from animal feed, thus protecting the essential nutrients.
- Talc is used as an anticaking coating in feed bins. It's non-toxic nature offers no danger to the livestock.
- Owing to its low cost and platy structure, Talc is widely used in the paint industry, particularly in marine paints and protective coatings. A few benefits include;
- Reinforcement of the Paint film
- Reduction in the quantity of primary pigment consumed.
- Controls gloss of paints
- Helps in suspending other pigments.
- Improves durability of Paint.
- Improves rust inhibitive properties & corrosion resistance.
- Improves stability of emulsion paints.
- In traffic paints for better abrasion resistance.
- Improves stain resistance in Paint.
- In detergent powder also, Talc acts as a carrier of detergents and also reduces the cost. Due to its natural quality of being inert and harmless to skin, it is the most popular filler.
Other Uses :
- Dry fire extinguishing powder, Cereal polishing, Bleaching agent, Floor Wax, Water Filtration, Leather Treatment, Shoe Polish, Welding rod coating, Printing Ink, Casting for Iron Ore in the direct reduction process, Asphalt, Jointing Compounds, Confectioneries, Foam/Rubber, Putties